I'm writing you this note that you can read at your leisure and, should you choose to (please choose to!), follow the instructions to help determine how we are related.
In the initial email I sent to you, I probably outlined how I believe we are related on my lines. Unless I said so directly, I probably don't know exactly how we're related but I would like to find out.
Do you have a family tree posted online? If not, please post one and send me the link. If you have it on Ancestry, please send me an invitation. You will find my Yahoo email address at http://www.mattkmiller.com. This is the address associated with my Ancestry account. I keep my tree available on Rootsweb here. My parents are in this database as John Anthony Miller and Agnes Catherine Panther. Browse through their ancestry there and see if you find any names or locations that look familiar.
If you tested on Ancestry, I'm sorry to say that the tools they make available don't do a lot to help us find out how we may be related. It will likely help if you are able to download your raw data and upload it to a few different sites. I don't expect you to do all of this at once. Step through some of this, then come back later and take a few more steps. The more places you have your DNA results, the more likely we'll be able to figure out our relationship and possibly break down a brick wall for one or both of us.
1. Download your raw DNA data from Ancestry.
- Sign in to Ancestry
- Go to the DNA tab and click on Your DNA Results Summary
- Click Settings on the right side of the page.
- Click Download Raw DNA Data on the right side of the page.
- Enter your password and click CONFIRM.
- Go to your email account and open the email
- Click Confirm Data Download.
- Click Download DNA Raw Data.
- Save it to a location on your hard drive where you know where it is.
- Go to https://www.familytreedna.com and click on Upload DNA Data/Autosomal DNA
- Fill in your information and click "Join today!"
- Select the appropriate button associated with your DNA testing company. If you downloaded your data from Ancestry, click 23andMe / AncestryDNA
- Browse to your downloaded DNA file and select it to upload it.
- Go to https://www.myheritage.com and create a free account
- Click on Data/Upload DNA Data
- Click Start
- If you are uploading your own data, select "Mine", put checks in the two boxes saying you've agreed to MyHeritage's policies, then click "Upload" and browse to your downloaded DNA data.
4. Upload your raw DNA data to Living DNA
Extract the file from the .zip file you downloaded.
Go to https://my.livingdna.com and create a free account
Click on Upload, then Upload File
Select the person whose DNA results file you are uploading. If you are uploading your own, select "Myself".
Agree to Living DNA's policies.
Select the text file and upload.
In the meantime, please read my blog and drop me an email. I enjoy talking about our shared genealogy and would be happy to provide any information I can.