Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Veteran's Day 2015

Today is Veteran's Day. In honor of this day, I'm posting a few things about my dad's and my grandfather's military service.

While I don't know much about my grandfather, Leo Henry Miller's military service, I know he received a service medal for The Great War For Civilization.
Leo Henry Miller - Medal for The Great War For Civilization
 I know this photo is not a military photo but it is the only portrait I have of him close to his time in the service. This photo and this medal hung on the wall in our living room while I was growing up.


My dad served in the Navy during the Korean War. He was Yeoman on the USS Skagit.
My dad, John Anthony Miller, Navy enlistment photo

This photo was taken in Omaha, enroute to his deployment in San Diego.

My dad told me about this photo. He's holding a bottle of liquor, which he was drinking immediately after being informed that he was going to Korea.

This is the certificate showing his promotion to Yeoman Third Class
Stripes from his Navy uniform.

This is a photo of the personnel of his office on board the Skagit

One piece of correspondence he received, I believe while on the Skagit, regarding General Douglas Macarthur being relieved.
His discharge from the Navy

I have a number of photos of his time on board this ship. You can see more of them on UssSkagit.org. There is even a book that was published about the mission this ship was involved in. It's called "Life Aboard the Skagit" and was written by Don Vogan. I'd love to get my hands on a copy of this book but so far, it has proved elusive.

After his service in the Navy, he also served in the Air Force reserves.
Discharge from Air Force Reservces




--Matt Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment